Monday, August 20, 2007

Upsized.


C.S. Lewis made a powerful declaration when he wrote, "Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important!" Wow! Did you get that? What Lewis was asserting was this - our faith is either the undeniable truth or it is the greatest scam job ever invented by man...but what it is not is a moderate unimportant issue of life.

This past weekend I had a conversation with the congregation I pastor and I asked the question, "How big is your God?". Isn't that really the biggest question of faith that we must address? I say this because the size of your God will determine the quality of your faith and life.

A contemporary author I have been reading is Mark Batterson. He has recently written a book that challenges the quality of faith that most so-called Christ followers are living. One of the most powerful statements I have ever pondered came from his pen. And it is this, most Christ-followers do not have a circumstantial problem - but rather a perceptual problem. The core of this statement hinges on the thought that many times we enlarge our problems and we downgrade our God. When this happens - life becomes overwhelming, heavy, disappointing and joyless.

Another result of this kind of weak living is that our faith becomes moderate and empty at best. I think it is time that we SUPER-SIZE the God we serve and make this thing we call faith a big deal once again!

That's all for now...



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great one, brother! I am glad that we serve a "Great Big God." When we have done all we know to do, it is nice to know he is there to help us in me in our time of need