Thursday, June 29, 2006

Moment by Moment...


It seems as though it has been forever since my last blog. Actually, it has only been three weeks...never-the-less, it has been three weeks too long!

Well, let me begin by bringing you up to speed as to where I am in my personal spiritual journey. Over the past couple of weeks I have been impressed with the need to press in and experience my faith in a more tangible way. Here is what I mean...

As I go through this life, I find that it is easy to jump from Sunday to Sunday in my spiritual walk. As though I can only experience the supernatural power of God on the weekends of my life. However, this mindset or thought pattern couldn't be further from the truth. As I read the scriptures and study God's written word, I find that He desires more than that for me. His plan is that I see Him, talk to Him, walk with Him, serve Him, embrace Him, praise Him, worship Him, live for Him every moment of my life. There is no weekend or vacation time in my pursuit of His presence. My faith life, spiritual experience should be one continuous flow. Never ceasing!

I have been reading one of the classic books in the Christian Faith this past week. Practicing His Presence, by Brother Lawrence & Frank Laubach. Maybe you have heard about it...or possibly read it? Whatever the case, it has been an eye-opening read for me (I say eye-opening read...I guess my eyes have to be open if I am going to read...well, you get my drift)! This book is actually a compelation of the daily writings and articles of these two great Christian men. The writings that have been the most challenging for me thus far have come from Frank Laubach.

He writes this, "January 20, 1930 - Although I have been a minister and a missionary for fifteen years, i have not lived the entire day of every day, minute by minute to follow the will of God...But this year, I have started out to live all my waking moments in conscious listening to the inner voice, asking without ceasing, 'What, Father, do you desire said? What, Father, do you desire this minute?' It is clear that this is exactly what Jesus was doin all day every day."

Wow! To think that I could actually begin to position myself to live every moment of every day in the presence of God. Always mindful of His abiding Spirit with and within me. Yes! Yes! That is my desire. I mean, can you phathom that kind of living. All of a sudden, everything changes. The way I do what I do. Where I go. How I speak to others. Everything changes...because it all becomes done in the presence of and in the name of Jesus Christ. That kind of living is what the Christian Faith is all about.

St. Irenaeous (who was a disciple of Polycarp - the student of the Apostle John) once said, "The glory of God is man fully alive!" I think the kind of living that the missionary Frank Laubach wrote about is the very type of living that St. Irenaeous was speaking about. When we live fully alive in the presence of Jesus Christ - He is glorified!

May God be glorified by your life and mine - every moment of every day!

Be blessed. Oh yea...CODA!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We need to find time in our day to day routine to spend time with the Lord. We can get carried away in our lives that we can lose our focus. We need to get our focus back on what is really important and that is serving a risen savior!!!

Anonymous said...

I love these blogs. I think that they are inspirational and they allow us to look into the inner core of ourselves, examining every aspect of our lives. Keep them coming, Pastor Chuck. You need another one!